How much do you know?

April 15, 2010

First it was all airports in Iceland. Then the UK shut off theirs. Now it’s France’s turn. As more and more airports are forced to close in the wake of the volcanic eruption near Eyjafjallajoekull glacier in Iceland, the media’s beginning to focus on the inconvenience it’s causing thousands of people flying in and out of Europe.

A passenger waits at a deserted Belfast International Airport in Northern Ireland on Thursday. All flights from the airport have been cancelled because of ash from a volcanic eruption in Iceland. (Peter Morrison/Associated Press)

So many people in different parts of the world affected by one local event.

A minor disruption in travel plans is nothing compared to the number of lives saved.

Until this morning I didn’t even know the effects of volcanic ash on airplanes. All I had to do was Google.

The “knowledge” triggered a chain of thoughts in my mind.

There’s so much in this world we don’t know. And what little we know changes with time.

There was a time when we thought the world was flat. For many years we thought the sun circled the earth. A couple of centuries ago, intercontinental travel meant months and years on a sailing vessel.

Just in my three decades of existence, we’ve gone from using pencil and paper to swiping through content on an iPad.

Cars still don’t fly … but some day they probably will.

Our understanding of the world has developed over the ages in the way a child’s does.

Slowly, but surely, we’ve shrunk the world while constantly expanding our knowledge of it.

But even when we think we know, do we really?

We keep citing experts – on the news, in print, in our daily conversations – defining them as people who know everything about something. But do they?

Does anyone know everything about something?

If what we know keeps changing, then what do we really know?

And how does it affect what I know about myself?

Am I the explanation of what I’ve come to know? Am I the explanation of what I’ve read? Experienced? Seen? Heard?

Am I the explanation of the people I’ve met?

And why am I looking for insights when I “know” that no one really knows the absolute truth?

Or do they?

16081BD1A60533E0F1173D28DE4F0D3F How much do you know?

dp seal trans 16x16 How much do you know?  Copyright protected by Digiprove © 2010 Mansi Bhatia

You might also enjoy:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to How much do you know?

1. angelguidedNo Gravatar on April 15, 2010 at 6:03 am

This sounds like something I write in my journal-often! Sometimes I think life would be easier if we made things simpler, by just concentrating on what really matters, i.e. LOVE! Good post :)

• MansiNo Gravatar on April 16, 2010 at 11:15 am

Thanks, Christina :-)
      And, yes, life would be much simpler if we let love rule. As, Bill says in his comment below — it is the one truth we can all learn.

2. abhishekNo Gravatar on April 15, 2010 at 11:41 am

Great article

• MansiNo Gravatar on April 16, 2010 at 11:13 am

Thanks!

3. BillNo Gravatar on April 16, 2010 at 3:52 am

I believe people can be experts without knowing everything. I think the days of someone knowing “everything” are gone. We’re becoming a specialized society & I’m not sure that’s a good thing. There’s so much to experience in our world that if we become so wrapped up in one thing we lose our connection with everything else.

The great thing is that the more knowledge we have the more we can become accepting of others in the world. I believe it’s through understanding others that we open the walls of hate & discover we’re all connected.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Hugs,

Bill

P.S. There is one truth that we can all learn….that’s love!

• MansiNo Gravatar on April 16, 2010 at 11:16 am

I agree with you, Bill. But I also think that the more aware we become of the fact that we don’t have all the knowledge, the more humbling it is.

4. Anu MantraNo Gravatar on April 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

Hey Mansi,

Nice article. You have poured your feelings very aptly.

Your thoughts are very genuine. But the million dollar question is what are we afraid of, if we know about the ultimate truth. What makes our flip side shadow over the bright side. Why are we still searching for the questions?

we only hope for a better world and do everything to make it worse. Human species is like that only. We see good deeds only in a way we see ads during a movie. In breaks….